Projects for Modernization
Rehabilitataion of the buildings and the Palace
The Ministry has dedicated special attention to improve the conditions of the palaces of justice and ensuring the necessary equipments in these facilities.
Regarding the Palace of Justice in Tripoli, the Ministry has transferred the ownership of the realestate number 4524 from the Bassatin Region in Tripoli from a public property to the property of the “Lebanese Republic” in order to establish the new palace of justice and the Ministry of Public work has stated that has provided, thru a public bid, a concession on 19/06/2003 on establishing a complex for the Palace of Justice in Tripoli – First Stage – to the Jihad Company for Trade and Contracting, and this phase included the work of digging and support as well as establishing the structure for the ground and upper levels and that the second phase of this project is still under work.
On 10/01/2004 the new palace of Justice in Saida was inaugurated after the completion of the works started end of 1999. And in 2005 the security was strengthened in the mentioned palace thru the functioning of CCTV and the training of members from the interior security forces to use these cameras. And on 10/02/2006 the contract of exchange between the Lebanese state and the Municipality of Saida regarding the transfer of the property of the real estate number 517/Dakarman Saida to the ownership of the municipality of Saida in return of the transfer of the ownership of real estate number 1556/wastani Saida to the ownership of the Lebanese state where the new palace of justice of Saida will be established was authenticated per a decree.
During the two sessions convened on 19/08/2004 and 23/12/2004 the Lebanese government took a decision to transfer the Arab Center for legal research of the Arab League and the institute of judicial studies from their former location to the former building of the Ministry of Agriculture in Achrafieh, and the lease contract for the year 2007 was renewed with the old owner of the real estate number 3503/Achrafieh on 17/01/2007 and the mentioned building is now under the responsibility of the Ministry of Justice.
When it comes to the remaining courts, the Ministry of Justice has undertaken the following actions :
- A building to be occupied by the Court of Damour was rented after the resumption of normal life in the locality (the old building was destroyed by the incidents of 1975) and the court has started its work during the month of august 2002 after that the building was equipped with all the necessities and the furniture in addition to dedicating offices to the Bar Association.
- A building was rented by the court of Sir el Donieh and the previous building occupied by the court was vacated due to its bad condition ( the new building was equipped as well with all the required installations and furniture in addition to a room for the Bar association).
- The court of Jezzine was moved to the building of the new Saray and the full building was equipped as well with all the required installations and furniture in addition to the room of the bar association.
- Two electric generators were provided to the palace of justice in Beirut and an electric generator was installed at the palace of justice in Baabda, in addition to the existing generators at Jdeideh and Tripoli.
- On 25/10/2003 the building occupied by the Court of Hermel was vacated after that the administrative district of Hermel provided a special building for the Civil Court in Hermel and that in the new building of the government that was established.
- Pursuant to the decision of the Council of Minister number 32 on 26/06/2003 the lease contract of the two sections 5 and 6 in the first floor of the building on real estate number 462/Bint Jbeil as a building for the Court of Bint Jbeil was signed and this contract goes into effect starting 31/12/2003 and it wad delivered on 15/12/2003.
- On 08/06/2004 a tender was done to grant a concession to rehabilitate the palace of justice in Zahleh, and that operation has started.
- In 2004 the real estate court in Baabda vacated the old building and moved to another building rented on real estate number 6401/Baabda.
- The building of the Palace of Justice in Baabda situated on real estate number 4901/Baabda was occupied based on a decision of the council of ministers number 28 on 07/08/2003 and the council of ministers had approved renting the mentioned real estate.
- Pursuant to a decision of the Council of Ministers number 11 on 03/06/2004 a lease contract was signed in 2005 to rent the first floor of the building on real estate number 8616/Hasbaya as a building for the unique court of Hasbaya.
- Decision number 75 was issued on 20/02/2007 during the session of the council of ministers stipulating the assignment of the Higher Commission for relief to rehabilitate the Palace of Justice of Baalbeck after it was subject to an Israeli air strike during the Israeli Aggression.
- The project to rehabilitate and accomplish the maintenance of the court of Amioun is under study as of the beginning of 2007.
- Two real estate were placed at the disposal of the Ministry of Justice and another building adjacent to the Palace of Justice of Jdeidet el Metn was placed at the disposal of the mentioned Palace.
- Coordination is currently existent with the Ministry of Justice to move the location of the court of Aley from the government building to another building owned by the state or rented by it and to redistribute the chambers and the offices at the government building in a manner that corresponds to the size of the administrations.
- Several diverse works are currently underway to ensure the good conduct of the work at the palaces of justice and the courts.